2010년 10월 5일 화요일

My morning booster NU-Rung-Ji(누룽지!)

  A weekday morning usually isn't the very vigorous moment for grown-ups especially if they have to face the same routine as they had for years. Coffee is a favorite pick for those who can use some help to boost themselves up to the level they want. Coffee is fine for me too, but usually I would pick Nu-rung-Ji; Korean and absolutely traditional. Nu-rung-ji is the burnt part of rice that you can find at the bottom of the pot. It's really hard to find Nu-rung-ji at homes because electric cooker or steam cooker do not leave any burned over. Also, it's very tricky to make the right nu-rung-ji because only the right amount has to be burnt. Too much or too less do not make a good nu-rung-ji.



  Making nu-rung-ji is really easy, almost as easy as making coffee. You put in pieces of nu-rung-ji and pour enough amount of water and boil it until it's hot, soaky and soupy enough to eat. The packs of nu-rung-ji sold at Han-Sal-lim has four round pieces of nurungji a pack, and I usually cook two at a time. As nurungji boils good smell fill up the room, such that reminds of grandmother's warm meal.



  It's done! Water part of the cooked is called Sung-Nyung(숭늉). One of Korean's favorite dessert. As you have noticed nu-rung-ji is carbohydrate, basically rice. I think depending on person, carbohyrate that is well cooked so that it can be easily consumed might do more help than caffein. It quickly builds up appetite so that I would not skip breakfast. Sometimes it is strong enough to make me decide to go on a morning jogging! Ok, it is not sometimes, rather extremely rare...T.T....

  I am typing and eating nurungji, simultanuously. It's getting little messy, so i should stop here.^^;;
I hope you all have pleasant mornings. Good luck!

댓글 3개:

  1. we also have that kind of food in Vietnam. Our "Nu-jung-ri" is topped with onion and well-kneaded ham. it's so tasty! I'll try to cook Nujung-ri sometime. thank you for ur instruction :)

    답글삭제
  2. I have tried this type of rice, but I can't get used to it. Usually when rice is burnt even a little bit in the U.S. we consider it to be bad and not yummy, so we throw it out. Hopefully I will get used to it eventually!

    답글삭제
  3. it's really nice to have enthusiasms on my favorite. sharing with friends makes everything more exciting. soon,i will bring nurungjis to the class, so that you could try it^0^

    답글삭제